Monday, August 9, 2010

Supplies!



Remember that "Trip" to Tagaytay I took a few months ago? Supplies! It was really for a job interview at an English Academy for Korean Students. I moved down here 2 weeks ago after I got a text saying I can start working immediately. I only gave my last jost a days notice before starting... Oops!
The school was a resort which they added a few buildings for classrooms, but most of the teachers use the bamboo huts as outdoor classrooms. I am staying in one of the "dorm" rooms until my apartment arrangements have been made. I still don't have any furniture so staying in the school is fine with me. Swimming everyday and not riding to work in the middle of the night has been a great change for me.
Tagaytay is about a 2 hour drive from Manila, so its close enough that I still go there on the weekends, but far enough that I don't have to wake up to buses or jeeps or breath the smog everyday.

There are a lot more bugs here, including this sucker.







I also have had some huge spiders outside waiting for me. My room has screens on it but the mosquitoes have found a way in. While I was away for the weekend, they must have wanted to give me a surprise party, because I came home to about 200 in my bathroom.






My students are here for 3-6 months at a time. They come to learn Engrish because its cheaper here, and most Filipinos speak Engrish very well. The owner is Korean and recruits students from there, but we do have one Japanese student who already lives in Tagaytay.




I am teaching them English Nintendo terms: "Bad guys, boss, turtle power, turbo button"











One of the other teachers and a student. They both smoke ALL the time.











Me and Gary. Gary served in Benjie's ward before, and stayed at our house once. He emailed me a few months ago to have me apply. Thanks for the hook up!



My biggest fan! Always makes sure I have food and I get home safely.



































1 comment:

Robyn said...

Lilly said she could brave the bugs and mosquitos if she could feed a baby tiger. She's also worried that you'll stay there forever. COME HOME!